You’ve heard it many times before – the claim that “email is dead.” But that’s just not true. In fact, TechCrunch says that email newsletters are hot right now. They’ve seen a shift in websites encouraging readers from “liking” them on Facebook, to now getting them to sign-up for an email subscription.
So you keep hearing that email is dead, but why are publishers trying so hard to grow their eNewsletter subscription lists? And why are readers continuing to invite email into their inboxes? TechCrunch gives five reasons for this:
- 1. Email gives publishers more control: As opposed to social media where you are subject to Facebook’s algorithm or breaking through the noise of someone’s Twitter feed, email will get through to those that have made the conscious choice to sign up for your newsletter.
- 2. Readers pay more attention to email: Just do your own comparison. How many email opens do you receive vs. clicks on a link you tweet about?
- 3. Email is cross platform: Email works on everything, even if you’re still on dial-up internet.
- 4. Email keeps all your clutter in one place: If you were given the choice to receive all your information in one place (your inbox) or search 12 different (social media) platforms for updates, which would you choose? Case closed.
- 5. Email is the original social media: What social measurements really count when measuring engagement? Comments and shares! And wait, email has that too – they’re just called “reply” and “forward.”
Here you have it, email is very much alive and kicking and here to stay. Now it’s time to be faster, smarter and more measurable about your email marketing.