Click to see a list of all 15 tips for Mastering Mobile Email.
Earlier in this three-part “Mastering Mobile Email” series, we shared 5 tips for optimizing your email template and design, and 5 tips for using mobile email to drive cross-channel interactions.
But why stop there? Let’s take mobile optimization one-step further. The nature of mobile devices themselves allows for real-time optimization and advanced targeting. How can marketers take full advantage of the unique possibilities inherent in mobile email?
Here are 5 ways to optimize your emails based on the real-time context of your mobile consumers:
1. Optimize creative for different mobile devices. Show the most relevant creative based on which mobile device is being used to open the email. RadioShack promoted certain mobile products based on the user’s open device (see example).
2. Promote device-specific app downloads. In our last post, we explained how it’s possible to deep link to your brand’s mobile app using email. But you can also target users in real-time with app download calls-to-action based on the device used to open the email. Check out these examples from Comedy Central and Starbucks.
3. Target by current weather conditions. Show recipients’ creative specific to the weather conditions at their location when they open the email. Seamless, the food delivery service, showed a weather forecast and encouraged readers to order in on rainy days (see example).
4. Optimize for mobile connection strength. Serve lower resolution images if a mobile carrier is detected, since the email recipient is not connected to a WiFi network. Learn more about mobile carrier targeting here.
5. Optimize video-in-email. Use device-targeting to ensure mobile email recipients enjoy the best possible video-in-email experience available to them at time of open, depending on ISP/email client. Learn more about video-in-email here.
Have questions on any of the tips covered in the “Master Mobile Email” series? Give us a shout at email@example.com.
Looking for a full list of the 15 tips on fully optimizing for mobile in one place? Download the 15 Tips for Mastering Mobile Email list here.
TV Land created this highly-engaging email to promote the season premiere of “Hot in Cleveland,” a sitcom starring Betty White, using Movable Ink’s agile email marketing platform. Here are 5 reasons why we love this email:
- Live show using live content. The first episode of the new season of “Hot in Cleveland” was aired live. By creating an email using live content, TV Land successfully added to the real-time nature of the season premiere.
- Streaming countdown clock showed the days, hours, minutes, and seconds left until the show started.
- Deep link to Twitter app on mobile allowed fans to wish the cast well before the live show with a pre-populated tweet.
- Live stream of latest tweets showed the real-time social chatter that included the #HOTLive hashtag.
- Embedded video of the “Hot in Cleveland” cast played directly within the inbox, with no need to launch an external media player or web browser.
For more examples of engaging emails, check out other Emails We Love. Questions? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s a chart showing major ISPs/email clients and their support-level for video-in-email — from full “true” video, to animated gifs that closely mimic video, to static images with play buttons that launch video players in a web browser when clicked.
The chart is accurate as of its posting date (January 29, 2013) — we’ll make updates as the highly fluid ISP landscape continues to evolve.
Movable Ink was featured in ClickZ today. In an interview with veteran email marketing industry analyst David Daniels, our VP of Marketing Jordan Cohen explained the benefits of Agile Email Marketing, Movable Ink’s new Video in Email solution, and the impact of mobile on email marketing campaigns.
Agile email marketing is different than the current waterfall process of email marketing campaign production. The current linear process of email marketing production assumes a certain level of rework, particularly as it relates to how testing is achieved in most email marketing applications. The agile approach is centered around the subscriber including up-to-the-minute contextual information, such as their location, time of day, and device. This is married with unlimited variations of content, historical subscriber data, and optimization rules to ensure that the right message is delivered to the right person at the right time. Such an idea is not new, but Movable Ink, a fast-growing New York-based company, has made this a reality for top retailers and brands. What makes its approach even more compelling is that it’s not an ESP; the company makes it easy to cut and paste its capabilities into the marketer’s existing email marketing solution.
Read the full article here: http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2239284/realizing-agile-email-marketing-the-future-of-video-content-and-context